Friday, May 24, 2013

A Slice of my Piece of Life

These last few weeks have been quite stressful with many ups and many downs. This past week has added many additional challenges that became the cherry on top of my pile of stressors. With all of this, I have a had to choose to be happy or upset. I wish I could say that I just pulled myself up by my bootstraps and kept on smiling, but unfortunately, I have had my grumpy face on more than I wish to admit. 

Luckily, there have also been many wonderful things that have happened this week that just brighten up my entire day. Here are some of those things:

1. We watched this hilarious clip in my Literacy Methods course. I dare you not to laugh.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxoUUbMii7Q

2. One of my favorite bus drivers waves quite enthusiastically every time he sees me (this is when I am waiting for a different bus.) He also drops me off at a special, non-designated bus stop closer to my apartment-he even told me that he would like to drive me right to my apartment complex, but he thinks he would get fired if he did...I have no idea how I earned this measure of devotion from this bus driver, but I'll take it!

3. My favorite little boy that I tutor (who had an entire post written about him already) agreed to work with me one day on the condition that it was his last time working with me because he has worked with me "like 10 times!" Naturally, I was sad, but what can you do? So the next day, I asked him who he would like to work with and he told me not me,  because yesterday was the last time. Then, when the person in charge told him that he had 10 seconds to choose who he was going to work with or he would choose for him, he came running for where I was sitting on the couch and chose me to work with him. I feel loved. It was really fun...except for his little nose-picking incident, which was just gross. 

4. Talking to an old friend again.

5. Seeing my sister, even if it was only for like 4 minutes.

6. Being able to see my best friend everyday, and sometimes laugh so hard that I am almost crying. (That definitely happened today).

7. Having wonderful institute classes that cover just what I need at this point in my life.

8. My cute new roommate who is really fun to talk to...and who likes black and white movies and musicals. I have a feeling we will continue to get along!

9. Signing a housing contract for the fall in the ward I want, the type of room I want, and with the roommate I want! :)

10. A guy in my ward giving me a ride to the mall when he saw me waiting for the bus. Sweet, right?

11. Helping with 6th grade graduation at the school that I tutor at. It was fun seeing all of the 6th graders that I have been working with for the past 2 months "graduate." Their speeches were entertaining!

12. Laughing with one of the other tutors I work with. We have become quite good friends over the past few months, and I'm going to miss seeing her everyday!

13. Flying by the seat of my pants and helping my group come up with an impromptu "great goodbye" meeting in class the day we were conducting the meeting. Don't worry. It turned out beautifully. We played a fun group game that had everybody laughing and said goodbye in Dory-version-whale-talk. Elementary school here I come.

14. I was reminded of how keenly aware our Heavenly Father is of his children.

I know that there were many other things that made me smile or laugh this week, but these are some of my favorites. I will end this very long blog post with a quote that came to mind in retrospect of what has occurred this past week, and looking ahead to what is coming next week.

 "...the only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or                    cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."  - Sister Hinckley




2 comments: