Sunday, May 12, 2013

How my Blog Came to get its Name

One of the first things that comes to mind when I say balcony is Romeo and Juliet. My balcony scene differs greatly from their's, however, and is in no way romantic. Last Sunday, the weather was very nice, and I thought that I should spend some time outside. I contemplated a walk, but dared not venture on the dreaded Provo Trail alone, so I reverted to the next best thing- my balcony. Before long, a neighbor saw me sitting there and came over and chatted with me for a few minutes and left for a walk.

 After a while, I called my sister and tried to go back inside my apartment so that I could hear her (the A.C. was waaaay too loud outside). The key word here is tried, and try I did. While my balcony door was very much unlocked when I went outside (because I was able to open the door to get out) it was definitely locked now. Pull as I might, it would not budge. Not only was I locked out by my balcony, I was locked out by my front door...and I was the one who locked both of them. Just then, my neighbor returned from her walk, and came over to see what the problem was. I had to explain how I locked myself out of my apartment, and after we stopped laughing, we tried to think of how to get me out of this mess. She tracked down our RA's phone number and called them to see if they could come help us out and got an answering machine. (So glad that they are there to help when needed...). 

We eventually realized that the clubhouse would be open, because there were ward prayer meetings going on. I climbed over the railing of my balcony, stepped onto the narrow ledge of my porch, and climbed over another railing. This is no small feat, considering that I have to stand on my tip-toes, and swing my legs up over the railing, not to mention the 3-foot gap between my balcony and porch that I could fall through. But, since I have been wanting to increase my flexibility, I really can't complain. We walked through the clubhouse- did I mention that I was barefoot?- trying to sneak quietly past a ward prayer meeting and obtained a master key to let myself into my apartment. (I only had to explain my situation a few times before they understood that it really IS possible to lock oneself out of your apartment, and for a balcony door to magically lock itself behind you). It was quite the adventure for a quiet Sunday evening.

Now, you would think that I would have learned my lesson the first time, but apparently not. If I had, my blog would have been titled "Once Upon a Balcony." Today, I made myself a delicious, healthy lunch, which I decided to enjoy outside in the sunshine. I was not totally trusting of my balcony after my incident last week, so I grabbed my key as I went out. I also made sure that it was very much unlocked before I went out. As soon as I closed the door behind me, I heard a click and became very suspicious. I gave my door a little tug, which soon turned into a rip-your-shoulder-out-of-your-socket pull, but it was all in vain. My door did it again. But, since I had my back-up plan in place, I didn't worry about it and enjoyed my lunch. :) I then embarked in my flexibility training and climbed over the railings and let myself back into my apartment. Moral of the story? Don't trust balcony doors. They don't play by the rules.

And thus, my blog has received a name. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment