Friday, June 28, 2013

A (Small) Look into the life of this Intern :)

So, here are a couple of pictures that show a couple of things that I have been up to lately. This first one is a little sneak peak into the stuff that I have for my classroom. It is a sign to go above the classroom library/reading area. This is just one of the things that I have made for my class. I will take pictures of the rest of the stuff once it is actually in my classroom. :)

 So, these next three pictures are of things that I made in my science methods class today. These are just some of the things that we did today. Sometimes, there are actually perks to having a 4 hour class. The first picture is of an LED thrower. You can't really tell in the picture, but those four things sticking up on the top are little lightbulbs. The two ends are both pink. The second from the left is clear, and the other one is a flashing lightbulb that changes colors. There is a strong magnet beneath the red tape that makes it so you can throw this little thing at anything magnetic and it sticks. It's a fun little toy!

In this next picture is a plaster mold of a Bobcat track. 
 
This last picture shows a little seed activity that we did. This is one way that you can plant seeds in your yard. It helps with the spacing of your plants. Based on the guidelines given in class, I divided the paper towel into 12 different segments and glued (with Elmer's non-toxic stick glue) a pea into each segment. If I were to continue the growing process, I would cover each pea with enough soil to match its' size. 


We also did an activity with a GPS and army men. As a partnership, we got to hide an army man within certain predetermined parameters, and then "mark" the location with our GPS devices. We then switched our GPS devices with another partnership and found their army man. Another activity we did dealt with electricity. We had a battery with wires and then different things that we could attach to the wires. For example, there were a couple of things that we could hook up that made a beeping sound. We could also hook up a propeller-like thing that would start spinning when the wires were connected. There were also lightbulbs that we could light-up. My group was able to get all of the things to happen simultaneously. (And, they even had 5 different colors of lightbulbs lighting up while everything else was going on). The last activity that we did was with wood blocks. We had to build some sort of structure with 150 of these blocks. We could try and build the tallest, the most intricate, etc. building. The only condition was that when we were done, our structure had to be able to support a little smurf dude. The tower that my group built was the tallest. It was also pretty stable. Some of the other groups in my class created really intricate and neatly designed buildings. 

All-in-all, I had a pretty fun class today! I really hope that I can think of fun, interactive- but meaningful- activities to do with my students during science. 

P.S. I get the keys to my classroom on Tuesday!!!!!! I'm only a little excited! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment